Beach Bum’s BBQ & Grill in Maalaea Harbor on Maui
Looking for some good barbeque while visiting Maui? Craving some good barbeque ribs and ice cold beer? Head over to the Maalaea Harbor and eat at Beach Bum’s BBQ & Grill for some of Maui’s best barbeque.
Since 1972, Beach Bum’s has developed a large following and an even larger reputation for outstanding barbeque, strong drinks, large portions, and reasonable prices. It’s a family-friendly restaurant with excellent parking in a complex with several stores worth visiting.
Of course, they serve both a half-rack and full rack of ribs, along with brisket, turkey, chicken and sausage, along with several different burgers. The smoked turkey sandwich is popular, along with an aggressive list of side items that include baked barbeque beach, green beach casserole, cornbread, mac-n-cheese and coleslaw.
They’re open daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are not required. Dress is casual but swim wear is not recommended.
NOTE: There’s a new location at the Maui Market Place called BBQ Express. It’s in Kahului, not far from the airport, and is open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day except Sunday when they close at 7 p.m.
Park near the Maalaea Harbor. The front parking lot is often full.
Plan to visit the Maui Ocean Center either before or after your meal.
- There’s several retail stores above Beach Bum’s, along with a large Pacific Whale Foundation retail store.
- Beach Bum’s offers a lobster special on Tuesday night. Wednesday night is their Rib Fest featuring a full rack of ribs for $19.95.
- They also offer very good side dishes — the baked beans are good, and the green bean casserole is very good. Also, they are know for their cornbread.
- If you’re not a meat-eater, no problem. Beach Bum’s offers fish sandwiches, fish tacos and several other items like fish-and-chips.
- Many tour boat companies offer snorkel, dinner and Molokini snorkel trips out of Maalaea Harbor. Plan on having lunch or dinner at Beach Bum’s of Maui after your excursion.
300 Maalaea Road – Maalaea Harbor
Wailuku, HI 96793
Tripadvisor reviews are a great way to see what others think about Beach Bum’s BBQ & Grill.
Yelp reviews let you read comments about Beach Bum’s BBQ & Grill.
Fun Things To Do On Maui!
Visit Honolua Bay when you’re on the west side of Maui, and maybe grab a pizza at Dollie’s. There plenty of activities on Maui and also some of the best burger places are in Lahaina Town. Don’t forget to make a trip to Haleakala Crater and snorkel at Black Rock or Airport Beach.
Looking for a great breakfast? Try The Gazebo in Napili. Do some shopping at Lahaina Cannery Mall, try some pizza in Lahaina Town at Prison Street Pizza, or go upcountry and have a great steak at Makawao Steakhouse.
Aloha – Enjoy Maui!
Beaches. Maui has some of the best beaches in the world. Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay on the west side of the island are popular snorkel locations, and everyone loves Baby Beach in Lahaina. Honolua Bay is also awesome for snorkeling, and Slaughterhouse Beach nearby is a tourist favorite. Don’t forget to try D.T. Fleming Beach Park.
Top 10 Lists. Take a look at my Top 10 Activities on Maui, and my Top 10 Restaurants. There’s also my Top 10 Attractions while visiting Maui and, of course, my Top 7 Shopping places and Top 5 Luau experiences.
Eating & Drinking. Oh, yea. You’ve also got to eat and drink while visiting Maui. Well, for breakfast The Gazebo in Napili is a “must-do tradition,” along with the Kihei Café. For pizza, try Prison Street Pizza in Lahaina or Dollie’s Pub & Café in Napili.
In the upcountry town of Makawao are two good places to eat – Casanova Italian Restaurant and Makawao Steak House. Stop at this “Hawaiian cowboy” town on your way down from a sunrise visit at Haleakala Crater.
Ever been in a rainforest? Check-out the Honolua Bay Rainforest! Out in Paia is a famous restaurant – Charley’s – so make sure you stop there for breakfast on your way to Hana, or for dinner on your way back. Check-out the various places to stay in Hana!
Welcome To Maui Tourist Guide
ENJOY! Living on Maui, I love to talk about this beautiful island. I hope you enjoy my photography, and I love to provide first-hand information about Maui. My hope is you feel the true Hawaiian “spirit of aloha” in everything you see and do on Maui.
HAVE FUN! Take a look at the article categories, review my recent posts, and send me any questions or comments you might have.
I know you’ll love Maui — as much as I love her!
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama’s Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It’s one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman’s Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It’s one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento’s On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali’ imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy’s in Ka’anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui’s Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe’o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A “must-see” beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui’s top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii’s largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui’s Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob’s or Boss Frog’s.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There’s nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve’s Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle’s magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS – Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui’s Best Luau!
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.
- In the Kaanapali Resort Area, both the Sheraton and the Hyatt offer a good luau experience.
Big Wave Taffy on Maui!
Take a look at our delicious Hawaii Flavors of salt water taffy – our salt water taffy is soft and creamy and it makes a great gift item, too. The taffy is sold at many stores on Maui, and you can also order on-line with Big Wave Taffy.