Makawao Steak House is unique
Looking for a different, fun, upcountry dining experience? Want to experience the Hawaiian Paniolo (cowboy) lifestyle?
Head to Makawao Steak House in the historic, quaint town of Makawao on the island of Maui and you’ll have a true Hawaiian Cowboy experience.
With a brick fireplace and a dark wood setting, Makawao Steak House sells a wide variety of steaks from local Maui cattle farms, short ribs, and locally-caught fish. They also have a small salad bar that is somewhat limited in offerings, but consists of locally-grown vegetables and fruit.
Appetizers include an excellent French Onion Soup that comes highly recommended and fried Calamari. The Makawao Steak House has a large list of side dishes, and I liked the baked potato, mushrooms and beans the best.
Looking for a charming, quaint dinner experience away from the massive resorts on Maui? Want to experience an upcountry dining setting in a small, historic Maui town?
Makawao Steak House is the ideal place to have a quiet, comfortable meal on Maui. While it’s a bit of a drive upcountry to the town of Makawao, it’s well worth the time and effort.
3612 Baldwin Avenue
Makawao, Hawaii 96768
OPEN: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday
Tripadvisor lets you see what others say about Makawao Steak House.
Yelp also lets you see reviews of other diners.
Directions. There’s several ways to get to the town of Makawao. First, I’d suggest getting a good map at your hotel or condo. Free maps are readily available.
Second, I suggest you take Hana Highway from Kahului to the historic plantation town of Paia. Spend some time walking this small town, and then take Baldwin Avenue to Makawao. It’s one of the most scenic drives on Maui.
As you enter the small town of Makawao, the Makawao Steak House is on the right side of Baldwin Avenue.
Fun Things To Do On Maui!
Visit Honolua Bay when you’re on the west side of Maui, and maybe grab a pizza at Dollie’s. There plenty of activities on Maui and also some of the best burger places are in Lahaina Town. Don’t forget to make a trip to Haleakala Crater and snorkel at Black Rock or Airport Beach.
Looking for a great breakfast? Try The Gazebo in Napili. Do some shopping at Lahaina Cannery Mall, try some pizza in Lahaina Town at Prison Street Pizza, or go upcountry and have a great steak at Makawao Steakhouse.
Big Wave Taffy on Maui!
Take a look at our delicious Hawaii Flavors of salt water taffy – our salt water taffy is soft and creamy and it makes a great gift item, too. The taffy is sold at many stores on Maui, and you can also order on-line with Big Wave Taffy.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants
- Mama’s Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It’s one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman’s Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It’s one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento’s On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali’ imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy’s in Ka’anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui’s Top Attractions
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe’o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A “must-see” beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui’s top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii’s largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui’s Top Activities
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob’s or Boss Frog’s.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There’s nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve’s Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle’s magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS – Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui’s Best Luau
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.
- In the Kaanapali Resort Area, both the Sheraton and the Hyatt offer a good luau experience.